Towards the end of September 2019 we started noticing significantly more rankings and traffic volatility than normal. This update was confirmed and is referred to as Google’s Birthday update. It began rolling out 24 September and was mostly completed by 27 September.
If your organic traffic declined immediately following this update, it is likely your website may have been affected. While it has been 65 days since this occurred we always recommend reviewing any traffic variations that occur immediately after a Google core update.
While this update was widespread there are few trends we are seeing:
- If your inbound links have 75% of the same anchor text and the links come from websites with a high Domain Authority, Google may have penalised your site.
- Similar to other recent updates, healthcare and medical websites were more often affected.
- Websites with lots of irrelevant internal or external 301 redirects were more heavily impacted.
- Websites with numerous poor or paid links also seem to be targeted. In September, prior to the Birthday update Google actually asked website owners to start to specify if links are paid or user generated with the following new tags. This is NEW and we feel like it will continue to play a bigger and bigger role in rankings.
- As we’ve seen in the last several updates, websites with thin or not informative content are also losing more traffic than websites with well written, long-form articles.
Paparico are here to help you. For a free SEO audit or consultation simply visit our website and get in touch.